Vegan products

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
in_the_red

Postby in_the_red » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:00 pm

I have that Cadbury hot chocolate, vegan and pretty good.

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:14 pm

Any one got any ideas about vegan fragrances? Not something I'd usually buy, the crystal deoderant stone is usually good enough for me, but I've got someone coming through duty free soon.

xx

Postby xx » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:00 pm

Any Day Now wrote:Any one got any ideas about vegan fragrances? Not something I'd usually buy, the crystal deoderant stone is usually good enough for me, but I've got someone coming through duty free soon.

bay leaves under yer armpits? tho you'll end up smelling like soup... honestly i don't know of any mainstream vegan fragrances, but that's just cause it's real hard to actually find out what's in their mix, there is bound to be traces of all sorts of whack shit in them - the only ones i know of aren't the big brands you'd find in duty free.

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:31 pm

hmmm lame. Might just get booze instead.

orangeutan

Postby orangeutan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:32 am

tired some mean pies at new world oriental tofu and some other flavours, just by all the rest of the vege shit at new world, would do again.

///

Re:

Postby /// » Sun May 04, 2008 10:04 pm

Any Day Now wrote:Any one got any ideas about vegan fragrances? Not something I'd usually buy, the crystal deoderant stone is usually good enough for me, but I've got someone coming through duty free soon.

Lush sell little tin jars of solid perfume. Smells sooo good and is, of course, vegan. I think they have perfume in liquid form, too.

Anywayyy, sorry if these have already been mentioned but New World sells vegan Biscotti biscuits and vegan outback animal biscuits. Pretty damn good. And not only are they vegan, they're also gluten free, wheat free, yeast free, soy free, GMO free, and nut free. The brand for both is 'Organ' and I found them in the biscuit section.

Derek the Chef

Re: Vegan products

Postby Derek the Chef » Mon May 05, 2008 9:00 pm

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but Greggs does a range of Vegan jelly :mrgreen:
Dan was usually the first one to suggest a round of Soggy Biscuit, but he always played to lose.

BLUEPOWERADE

Postby BLUEPOWERADE » Mon May 05, 2008 9:13 pm

What about kikkoman soy sauce?

skeetnigguh
VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO

Postby skeetnigguh » Tue May 06, 2008 9:40 am

BLUEPOWERADE wrote:What about kikkoman soy sauce?

Kikkoman is manufactured all up in the guts with 'isinglass'*sp?, something to do with fish gelatin, so it's not on the label.
ImageImageImage

Devon

Re:

Postby Devon » Tue May 06, 2008 5:52 pm

Ain't clinique vegan friendly?
I got that stuff from lush. Smells good!
Pipiru piru piru pipiru pi

veganprincess

Postby veganprincess » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:14 pm

re: vegan fragrances, I found EVOKE, it's a spray deo at the supermarket that is Against Animal Testing and also uses Ozone friendly Hydrocarbon propellant.

Hey does anyone know if YumYum Chicken flavoured noodles are vegan?

lena

Postby lena » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:30 am

the black phoenix alchemy lab do vegan perfume
like everyone else has said lush do solid perfumes

i believe that perfumery which is either up vulcan lane or one of those lanes that connects to high street in ak which is called WORLD BOTIQUE or WORLD PERFUMES or something, they also do a range of vegan perfumes. they have comprehensive ingedients lists behind the counter

they also have a range of about 100 fragrances which are designed to inspire memories from childhood, they have play-doh, freshly baked cookies, pine needles, mowed grass, all sorts of stuff.

another way to make your own on the cheap is get almond oil in a small vial and mix it with a few drops drops of your favourite essential oils
orange and ylang ylang are quite good together
jasmine and sandalwood
dont use patchouli or you will smell like you have dreads.

ultimately the whole practice is quite hessian so just buy some perfume.

Devon

Postby Devon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:38 am

I have had the lush solid perfume for about 2 months now, use it every day, and haven't even used a 10th of it.
Pipiru piru piru pipiru pi

lena

Postby lena » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:51 am

its awesome eh. it smells amazing.

everything at lush is dreamy.

yvon

Re:

Postby yvon » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:56 pm

PertHJ wrote:Yeah that's fair enough, and good point about the environmental concerns too

steeltoedsneakers wrote:
PertHJ wrote:I just don't really know if I buy that they are particular sentient beings.

you prefer to think of them as a collective sentience?

maybe

Refer: Terry Pratchett. (I'm talking about Esme Weatherwax).

I just got some Home Brand pastry. Appears to be vegan, and has 6 sheets in a pack, where New Way has only 4 for about the same price.
"All paid employment degrades the mind."

haiku terror shades

Postby haiku terror shades » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:19 pm

lena wrote:i believe that perfumery which is either up vulcan lane or one of those lanes that connects to high street in ak which is called WORLD BOTIQUE or WORLD PERFUMES or something, they also do a range of vegan perfumes. they have comprehensive ingedients lists behind the counter

they also have a range of about 100 fragrances which are designed to inspire memories from childhood, they have play-doh, freshly baked cookies, pine needles, mowed grass, all sorts of stuff.

World Beauty - they stock Demeter Fragrance Library.

I haven't seen the ingredients lists - but i 'spose they're as vegan as any fragrance company since the main reason ingredients on perfume aren't listed is because they contain lab built sythethic molecules.
Are IFF, Firmenich, Givaudan, and Symrise squirting these molecules in the eyes of bunnies?

samozz

Postby samozz » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:32 pm

the organic's shop in hamilton at the end of hemphy terrace, by the liquour store and the conveiniance store sells so many vegan products, pasta, cookes, pies/sausage rolls etc .. good prices too!!

tjbro

Postby tjbro » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:34 am

tofu

Derek the Chef

Postby Derek the Chef » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:24 am

tjbro wrote:tofu

Not always
Dan was usually the first one to suggest a round of Soggy Biscuit, but he always played to lose.

melanie

Postby melanie » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:19 pm

haiku terror shades wrote:I haven't seen the ingredients lists - but i 'spose they're as vegan as any fragrance company since the main reason ingredients on perfume aren't listed is because they contain lab built sythethic molecules.

Demter have said this about their products re veganess:
Demeter wrote:This is a question we are being asked regularly, and we are doing a survey of our own products to try and make a determination. At this point, I can tell you we add nothing to the fragrances, but I would recommend sticking with the florals for now. We are launching a redesigned website on May 1, and hope to have a list of those fragrances that are 100% natural, and those that are 100% vegan.

World Beauty is charging something like $69 for 30ml, which is kind of crazy when they're only $US20 and cheaper from online perfume discounters. I really like the Fig Leaf one.

CB I Hate Perfume might be worth a look for those into Demeter and BPAL. They're made by the man who started Demeter and have a similar concept but more complex fragrances (though they have a line of single notes too) and apparently better quality (haven't tried any yet). Can get decants at The Perfumed Court, who also carry a bunch of liquid Lush perfumes from the limited editions they've done. I really like the Lush solids though. There is also Lush's UK sister company thing B Never To Busy To Be Beautiful who have lots of vegan perfumes and make up (and really expensive international shipping, but if you can do a group order it's not so bad). I like a few of the ones I've tried from them but the rose in some of them is weird.

derma

Postby derma » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:50 pm

A top vegan product for sale in Hamilton at Auteurhouse and Indy Grocery is a book called Clean Green and Cruelty Free? from Wellington's Rebel Press. Very good resource book with loads of stats for vegans who have found themselves in shit conversations with flesh eaters without access to facts. It's also available for free in PDF on the Rebel Press website.

Pass it on.

BarrenEarth

Postby BarrenEarth » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:45 am

Hate to kill your guys buzz, Mine was brutally murdered because i read too much!

matt youwin wrote:Mi Goreng noodles (satay and original) (apparently have non-vegan additives)

wikipedia wrote:Dietary information

Indomie Mi Goreng is certified Halal (حلال, halāl, halaal).

Though not explicitly stated on the packet, the seasoning powder contains traces of chicken stock (listed ambiguously as 'flavouring'), hence making the product unsuitable for vegans and vegetarians.

Indomie Mi Goreng contains phenylalanine, so individuals suffering from phenylketonuria should avoid the seasoning. Indomie Mi Goreng also contains Monosodium glutamate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mi_goreng

sorry!

ruff

Postby ruff » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:25 am

derma wrote:A top vegan product for sale in Hamilton at Auteurhouse and Indy Grocery is a book called Clean Green and Cruelty Free? from Wellington's Rebel Press. Very good resource book with loads of stats for vegans who have found themselves in shit conversations with flesh eaters without access to facts. It's also available for free in PDF on the Rebel Press website.

Pass it on.

I have an idea about the whole shit conversations thing with flesh eaters...

QUIT FUCKING PREACHING!!!

chelloveck

Postby chelloveck » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:23 pm

kecap manis (thick, sweet soy sauce - sold separately as Indofood Kecap Manis)

fuck yes i love that stuff

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:16 pm

eat meat
I think it's lint.

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:16 pm

why

Red_switch