Remembrance of my friend Nicole Sutton

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
xsfat

Remembrance of my friend Nicole Sutton

Postby xsfat » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:56 am

Greetings punkas

I have a few questions, hopefully some of you can provide some comments
There's a good chance that I'll be moving to New Plymouth at the start of May.
Like all big decisions in life, I always consult with punkas... hah

1) anyone on punkas currently living in New Plymouth or planning to move to New Plymouth?
- I know absolutely no one in NP. I have only been there once. Would be quite scary to move there...

2) anyone looking for a flatmate in NP?
About me: 22, male, non-smoker, non-drinker, vegetarian
I am trustworthy, considerate, easygoing, reasonably tidy and I always pay my share of the bills ontime.
Ideally, I would like flatmates with all those qualities...

3) I would like to know more local knowledge about NP
- when is the flatting section published in the newspaper in NP
- recommended past times for a non-drinker
- best video store with a decent range (and price)
- best vege store with plenty of variety at reasonable prices
- are there sunday or flea markets?
- tell me a little about trying to find accomodation; any particular suburb/areas I should look in or avoid

4) I haven't made a decision to move yet. I have been offered a position in NP.
I want to move away from Auckland and I do have a good impression of NP.
But I'll be taking a paycut of around $6,500.
If I stay, I'm guaranteed another raise of around $6,000 in 5 months time.
What do you reckon?
Last edited by xsfat on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

silence

Postby silence » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:19 am

i'm considering moving to np (or auckland/ chch) for work. my dad has connections with the district council so could possibly sort me a job. i was up in np for WOMAD last weekend. some of the music blew my mind, it was pretty cool going to festival which wasn't just punk/hardcore/alt music for once. if you wanted to live just out of np oakura (spelling?). it's south of np and is a really cool little beach town.

is this for the job you told me about last year?
you're vegetarian? good shit :)
ethel is a fucken cool flatmate. well he put up with me for a year..

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:34 am

1) I grew up there and live their for a few weeks/months each summer with my parents still. I'm 21 so can give you some contacts of mates of a similar age.

2) Most of my mates who still live in NP drink pretty hard and like causing shit so maybe not quite what you're looking for.

3) - I think there is a small flatting section each day but Saturday would be your best bet from recollection.
- Shows are few and far between, so skating, surfing, mountain biking, kayaking, diving or tramping are all within half an hours drive away.
- prob Blockbuster, although they all seem to be pretty similar
- Not too sure about vege stores in terms of price, try the one behind the TSB center
- There are markets every weekend I think on Saturday's in the carpark behind the Mill.
- I'd recommend living over the north side of town, prob want to stay away from Motoroa

4) I was born in Auckland and lived there till I was 8 and head back there at least twice a year to see friends/family or go to shows. In comparison in NP pretty much everything you need is <10 minutes away. The biggest traffic jam might last two sets of lights instead of one. Most people are pretty friendly and relaxed. Despite what you hear the weather is pretty good, I think we stole New Zealand's sunniest city off Nelson a few years back. There are quite a few new restaurants and cafes that have opened up recently if you're into that kind of thing. I'll email this to my mum cause she's a real estate agent and can probably help out a little more with the accommodation side of things.

If you want to scope it out for a weekend you could possibly stay with my parents, they should be sweet with it.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

scott penk

Postby scott penk » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:17 pm

painting your car and face yellow and black and driving up and down the main street yelling 'go the naki!!!'

maybe PM nphc / horror story / slammy, some of the np guys on here as they probably dont stray into the vege section

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:41 pm

penk wrote:

painting your car and face yellow and black and driving up and down the main street yelling 'go the naki!!!'

Na I think it pays to be really drunk if your going do that.

For more car related 'fun' there are always the Friday night drags out on De Havilland Drive if you want to go hang out with a bunch of dick heads. I wouldn't recommend it though. :P

silence

Postby silence » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:03 pm

as far as flea markets go i think there is a car boot sale each saturday in the middle of town at a car park. no idea how good or big it is. sorry i'm not helpful at all. a friend is going to be selling native trees there soon.

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:42 pm

We think NP is about one of the best places in the country to live. Temperate climate, snow 1/2 hr away, or surf in the opposite direction. Best places to rent would be inner city, Fitzroy, Strandon, lower Merrilands, and the city side of Westown. Good rental agencies to consult would be The Professionals, Energy City Rentals, and Harcourts. There is a Saturday market, and a Sunday Farmers Market. Even though it is a great place to live with a brilliant lifestyle, think about your future prospects and what taking a pay drop will mean. Housing is cheaper than Auckland, but still expensive. Renting may be a little cheaper, and you will not have huge travel costs, but when you want to go somewhere else-maybe visit Auckland-it costs heaps with travel and accommodation. Good luck withn your decision!

That's what my mum had to say

simon

Postby simon » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:44 pm

i live in oakura. dont know much about flats and stuff though.
The Ost wrote:
toothbrush wrote:are you like a walking advert for steinlager or something?

I think "sitting" and "the endorsement of euthanasia by community consensus" were the terms you were looking for.

xsfat

Postby xsfat » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:33 am

i'm considering moving to np (or auckland/ chch) for work

http://genesisenergy.www0-w2k3.net24.ne ... search.asp
Environmental Coordinator / Hydrologist - Graduate
Permanent - Full Time 1 April 2007 Tokaanu Power Station
should look into it, sounds like what you're looking for
is this for the job you told me about last year?

hmm dont think so, found it on the Vic CareerHub website, went to the interview, didnt get the job but one of the other partners offered me another position
you're vegetarian? good shit

I'm loose as, but hey, i'll be more motivated when I move, especially if I find other vegetarians

Thanks Croc, much appreciated. Thank your mum too, rad
I dont really care about others around me drinking, in fact I'm used to it, as long as theres a degree of open-mindedness
you could possibly stay with my parents, they should be sweet with it

that sounds very generous, dont think its such a good idea though, seeing as I dont know you, let alone your parents haha
I was a little surprised at the house prices when I went there actually
It's just as expensive as West Auckland

Good point about moving too, the transition is probably going to be the hardest part
Hopefully I might find something over the net, but I seriously doubt it
So if any readers read this and would like to help out a stranger, feel free...

silence

Postby silence » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:00 am

xsfat wrote:http://genesisenergy.www0-w2k3.net24.ne ... search.asp
Environmental Coordinator / Hydrologist - Graduate
Permanent - Full Time 1 April 2007 Tokaanu Power Station
should look into it, sounds like what you're looking for

bro- i'm all over it :) you should start job hunting for me.. you seem to be pretty onto it. yeeeeehaaaaaaa it's close to the mountain

tilly

Postby tilly » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:10 pm

you got offered the job? awesome. i'm top of the shortlist for that singapore job, they sent me all the stuff i need to apply for visa. still thinking it over.

don't know shit about NP sorry.

xsfat

Postby xsfat » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:18 am

well anyone would get pretty good at job hunting once they have applied for well over 100 jobs...

tilly, it'd be awesome if you could work in Singapore during NZ winter and come back for summer...
did you get around to negotiating a higher wage? or did they insist paying a pittance

VietCongDeathSquad

Postby VietCongDeathSquad » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:44 pm

1) anyone on punkas currently living in New Plymouth or planning to move to New Plymouth?
-I live in NP.

2) anyone looking for a flatmate in NP?
I'm not. I like living by myself, had enough of living with other people.

3) I would like to know more local knowledge about NP
- when is the flatting section published in the newspaper in NP
eerrrr, Wednesdays I think in the NP Daily News. I don't read it much. Prefer the Dominion...

- recommended past times for a non-drinker.
would'nt have a clue, not that I drink much (unless it's a party,gig or some vague other reason). I have now become a non-drinker for health reasons. Meh, meh and meh again!

- best video store with a decent range (and price)
United Video, reasonable range, good prices (I usually only watch war movies.)

- best vege store with plenty of variety at reasonable prices
Hmmm theres one just around the corner from me, haven't been there for years. Vegetables are something I eat cos I have to, not cos I want to...except green beans, they're great!

- are there sunday or flea markets?
probably, don't go to them. Yeah The Mill Carpark has a Saturday market, no doubt there are others. I try to sleep on weekend mornings til lunchtime.

- tell me a little about trying to find accomodation; any particular suburb/areas I should look in or avoid
Avoid Marfell/Cook street. I do have mates in these areas but unless ya have very secure locks/large dogs/unemployed stay at home flatmate then get a place somewhere else. Anywhere else is pretty cool, ya can get reasonably cheap flats close to town. Mines $110/2 bedrooms with quiet neighbours and 3 minutes from town (tho I'm getting it cheap cos my mates dad owns them).

4) I haven't made a decision to move yet. I have been offered a position in NP.
I want to move away from Auckland and I do have a good impression of NP.
But I'll be taking a paycut of around $6,500.
If I stay, I'm guaranteed another raise of around $6,000 in 5 months time.
What do you reckon?

Upto you...
Last edited by VietCongDeathSquad on Tue May 01, 2007 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est"

http://tnppodcast.libsyn.com/

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:45 am

never a truer word spoken in: a place is only as good as the people or relations you have it with the right people so,....don't hang out with noobs.

and harder to hide so run when have the chance.

i thought about moving back to the cuntry, less distraction to write music and wellingtons full of hippys hahaha, or politicians or all orrible colours and tastes.

but thank us for the cop haulover, clap clap.

xsfat

Re: Remembrance of my friend Nicole Sutton

Postby xsfat » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:30 am

My friend and ex-flatmate Nicole Sutton recently passed away at Mt Taranaki.
Since I knew her through punkas, this is my mini remembrance of Nicole (posting as "silence" in this thread).

I can't remember how we first stumbled across each other, but I think Nicole responded to my post on punkas about finding a flat in Wellington.
Nicole and I became enthusiastic about finding a flat together, even though we were in separate cities and we didn't know each other at the time.

If you had known Nicole, even for a short time, you would know that she is wonderfully kind, friendly and compassionate.
In one of the above posts, Nicole credits me for putting up with her in the flat for a year, but the truth is - she was the tolerant one.
I'm painfully shy and recluse, but I always felt comfortable around Nicole, and she always made an effort to include me.

We often talked about movies and music that we both adored. I remember introducing her to Before Sunrise / Before Sunset and Rocky Votolato.
I never lived with anyone who shared similar tastes in music before. So it was a simple pleasure being able to walk into Nicole's room just to share a song/CD.

Since flatting together, I occasionally bumped into Nicole - at a show, on the street, at a CanTeen event. And it was always a joy seeing her around.
I should have stayed in closer contact, and I really regret not doing that.

I'll miss our kooky conversations, like this one http://forums.punkas.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24806
I could say much more, but words escape me, and I'm trying not to burst into tears. Goodbye Nicole. I will miss seeing you. XO

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:59 pm

sorry to hear about the loss of your friend

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:45 pm

belated condolences from me too, i never knew Nicole, but i remember her from her posts on here.
im sorry to hear she passed away Ethel, its never any fun, and it keeps on bloody happening too.

that post from Slammy must have been one of his last on here.
"Look how happy he is"

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”