BOYCOTT BODY SHOP

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
Holly

Postby Holly » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:16 am

Big Bird wrote:why not just stop buying soap, make-up etc. altogether

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:57 am

meathooksodomy wrote:Did you? :P

cum? No, he was running far too fast.

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:13 am

eat their stuff?

no i waited for my baked clam like a good gurl

:D
http://aotearoa666.com/

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:14 am

phaedrus wrote:
switch_blade wrote:I find the trilogy and living nature products are the best

where do you get this stuff from?

whatevs bro

Postby whatevs bro » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:30 am

dunno about trilogy but living nature almost always has honey in it, guts

totally juicy is good as well
are you down with the sound from this devil town?

serah

Postby serah » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:09 pm

In 1990 L'Oreal stopped testing on animals, although they can't always confirm that ingredients used in their products are not and they clearly state this.

It's always good to do a little research.
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups.

On another note why use the body shop anyway, animals or not the body shop has always tried to remove itself from the 'image of women' but still very much subscribes to the beauty myth.

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:19 pm

phaedrus wrote:I have seen the trilogy stuff at Hardy's Health, Health 2000, Homestead Health on Cuba... I think it's pretty widely distributed.

The Living Nature stuff is also available at those sorts of places... plus they have a retail store on Lambton Quay.

http://www.trilogyproducts.com/
http://www.livingnature.com/

choice!

thanks for the links :D

hey the trilogy stuff is at my local chemist too!
gonna try it for a treat when i run out of the other goo....

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:42 pm

Maleficent wrote:

eat their stuff?

no i waited for my baked clam like a good gurl

steamed clams? No i said steamed hams, its what I call hamburgers

you call hamburgers steamed hams...

yes, its a regional dialect.

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

yvon

Postby yvon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:49 pm

The cool thing about Living Nature is that it's a New Zealand company. The preservatives in the cosmetics are derived from flax and plants, they aren't synthetic. On their ingredients list, they have all the fancy names but then they list in brackets what the ingredient actually is, ie; leptospermmum scoparium mel (manuka honey).
I started using their stuff when I got some free samples. I have exma-prone skin, and lots of stuff sets it off, but Living Nature stuff calms it down. They make a manuka honey bodylotion that is real good to put on your legs when you've just shaved them (helps stop shaving rash). They do a neat clay friction peal mask, and they also make one of the only black eyeliner's that I can actually wear without making my eyes itch.

http://www.livingnature.com/
"All paid employment degrades the mind."

Holiday Menthol.

Postby Holiday Menthol. » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:22 pm

So, Honey still isn't Vegan..
Prince of Cats - PunkAs Royalty.

yossarian wrote:widdily widdily widdily widdily widdily widdily woooooooooooooooooooo

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:09 pm

I bet the owner of the company that supplys your overpriced net connection wears leather shoes.

You are funding his MURDER!

(in other words, you need to draw the line somwhere, and I see no reason why it couldn't be that you'll kill insects but not larger animals)

David xvx Ludd

Postby David xvx Ludd » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:02 pm

Well, yes. You do have to draw the line somewhere, I suppose. But if you use honey, you aren't vegan. That doesn't mean you're an evil person. It just means you're a person who uses animal products, so not a vegan...
Green | Vegan | Straight Edge | Tattooed | Lawyer | Cyclist | PMA

[url="http://about.me/david.tong"]Me[/url] | [url="http://www.p3foundation.org/"]My charity[/url] | [url="http://www.oxfam.org.nz/events/teams.asp?a=show_team_pages&eventid=30&teamid=6235"]My Trailkwalker team[/url]

switch_blade

Postby switch_blade » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:58 am

xJoeyNormalx wrote:Well, yes. You do have to draw the line somewhere, I suppose. But if you use honey, you aren't vegan. That doesn't mean you're an evil person. It just means you're a person who uses animal products, so not a vegan...

who wrote the rulebook?
i'm so over the i'm more vegan than you thing
if you don't want to use honey thats fine - just own it for yourself
what simon said about panadol x2

SO ANYWAY

i know it is a bummer about living nature and honey thing as some people don't like to use honey (see above) BUT the laydee that sells the range came into our shop and told us all about it and said there is a nohoney range coming out which will include the lavender and lime conditioner of which i got a sample and used this morning and my god is it beautiful even on my bleach fucked splitends. '

PLUS - a tip for parents. The living nature nit oil and shampoo actually works.

Mel the trilogy range is amazing. The rosehip oil is the BEST thing for stretchmarks and scars.
T dot RAPTOR

whatevs bro

Postby whatevs bro » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:12 am

oh cool that's good to know, any idea when? must be pretty soon

BOOT GIRL

Postby BOOT GIRL » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:40 am

L'OREAL still test on animals,just because they say they dont ,they LIE,they are on no cruelty free products list because they still test and cant satisfy the accreditation.Buying the body shop ,they think itll make there company look good,i could never aford the b shop anyway,just letting yas know.

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:50 am

switch_blade wrote:
xJoeyNormalx wrote:Well, yes. You do have to draw the line somewhere, I suppose. But if you use honey, you aren't vegan. That doesn't mean you're an evil person. It just means you're a person who uses animal products, so not a vegan...

who wrote the rulebook?
i'm so over the i'm more vegan than you thing
if you don't want to use honey thats fine - just own it for yourself
what simon said about panadol x2

SO ANYWAY

i know it is a bummer about living nature and honey thing as some people don't like to use honey (see above) BUT the laydee that sells the range came into our shop and told us all about it and said there is a nohoney range coming out which will include the lavender and lime conditioner of which i got a sample and used this morning and my god is it beautiful even on my bleach fucked splitends. '

PLUS - a tip for parents. The living nature nit oil and shampoo actually works.

Mel the trilogy range is amazing. The rosehip oil is the BEST thing for stretchmarks and scars.

Cheers love!
I know this is the vegan/vege section but I don't mind using honey... i loved teasing my old vegan flatmate about the ONE TIME he mistakenly used some honey tho... told him the ILF were gonna get him, hehehehe

yeh the trilogy range looks like the shit, i'm gonna look for some in the local pharmacies. :D

Ph!1

Postby Ph!1 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:51 pm

you use absolutes like you have any real life experience dispite the fact youre a sheltered rich kid.

that means youre not vegan.

:roll:

crain
niggativity scene

Postby crain » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:03 pm

save it. you're a sheltered poor person. vegan means being free of animal products in your diet. preeeeetty straight forward one would think.

yvon

Postby yvon » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:15 pm

crain wrote:save it. you're a sheltered poor person. vegan means being free of animal products in your diet. preeeeetty straight forward one would think.

That is what I was thinking. Technically you could be vegan and still wear leather and use skincare products with honey in.
I thought "vegan" meant "vegan diet", not "vegan lifestyle".
After all, there are people wno are vegan for health reasons, and not for animal welfare reasons.
"All paid employment degrades the mind."

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:20 pm

Funny though.

I only consume honey, but because of that I have to call myself a vegetarian? ;)

There are other 'vegetarians' that eat chicken :roll:

Future Shock

wiwi

Postby Future Shock » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:43 pm

I think joeys right though I hate to say it, na not really :wink:

whatevs bro

Postby whatevs bro » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:08 pm

yvon wrote:
crain wrote:save it. you're a sheltered poor person. vegan means being free of animal products in your diet. preeeeetty straight forward one would think.

That is what I was thinking. Technically you could be vegan and still wear leather and use skincare products with honey in.
I thought "vegan" meant "vegan diet", not "vegan lifestyle".
After all, there are people wno are vegan for health reasons, and not for animal welfare reasons.

vegan actually means being free of animal products period

being a vegan for health reasons means you're a vegetarian

mayas well be a flexitarian

David xvx Ludd

Postby David xvx Ludd » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:10 pm

Wax wrote:you use absolutes like you have any real life experience dispite the fact youre a sheltered rich kid

Funny how you talk like you know me.

I was just cruising in my Beamer which I bought with my Dad's gold card the other day...oh...wait. :lol:

And, Switch Blade, the person who "wrote the rulebook" on veganism would be the person who coined the term, Donald Watson...

Aaaand, Simon, veganism is different from Straight Edge here in that Edge doesn't mean that you don't consume any drugs, period, whereas veganism means not eating or using any animal products. Edge means that you don't consume any narcotic drugs blah fucking blah.

I don't really care all that much, to be honest. This is pretty much just a semantic argument. Most people, including the man who coined the term vegan, see it as meaning no animal products, including honey in soap/shampoo. Having a vegan diet is not the same as being a vegan...

But, really, this doesn't matter all that much. I probably came across as a prick a little in my last post by speaking in such absolutes, but fuck it. The only thing we're arguing about is what a word means.

If someone is a proclaimed-vegan-who-eats-honey, well, I think that's a misuse of them term, but I'm not going to outright insult them for it. Their diet is still a whole lot more ethical in my eyes than an omnivore's...

[url="http://about.me/david.tong"]Me[/url] | [url="http://www.p3foundation.org/"]My charity[/url] | [url="http://www.oxfam.org.nz/events/teams.asp?a=show_team_pages&eventid=30&teamid=6235"]My Trailkwalker team[/url]

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:32 am

xJoeyNormalx wrote:Edge means that you don't consume any narcotic drugs blah fucking blah.

some pharmaceutical companies website wrote:...Narcotics are a class of drugs also known as opiate analgesics...
...common narcotics include codeine...
...Narcotics work by preventing or blocking pain messages from reaching the brain...

hey cool, it's been a while since i've had opiates in my system. i had no idea i'd been "edge" all this time despite all the weed and alcohol and, um, the rest. Might have to draw some little X's on my hands before going to the pub tonight!

oh wait, maybe you just don't know shit about drugs and their classifications and think "narcotic" means illegal drugs and alcohol or something and i'm not "edge" after all... :cry: oh well, X's look silly anyway
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

kittenslayer

Postby kittenslayer » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:57 am

Wax wrote:

you use absolutes like you have any real life experience dispite the fact youre a sheltered rich kid.

that means youre not vegan.

:roll:

The carnivore speaks.

David xvx Ludd

Postby David xvx Ludd » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:47 pm

Simon - Yeah, I agree with what you say about absolutism. I seem to recall reading interviews with Donald Watson in which he discussed honey as being non-vegan...could be wrong though.

Although I think that vegan does and should mean no animal products, including honey, I don't think that the simple meaning of a word is all that important. The underlying principles are of course far more important.

If I come across as arrogant or ignorant, I apologise.

I tend to take a very hard line on most semantic issues, which is really quite fucking pointless.

Yawn.

kittenslayer

Postby kittenslayer » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:30 pm

How chemically safe is "the body shop"?

Hand-ee-pants

Postby Hand-ee-pants » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:04 pm

I think beer should be the cosmetic of choice, it sure as hell makes other people appear prettier.

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:12 pm

:lol: yep but it costs alot of money to get everyone pissed

in_the_red

Postby in_the_red » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:27 pm

Not if you homebrew, heheh.

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”