Vegetable Protein Sources.

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
SupaScoopa

Re: Vegetable Protein Sources.

Postby SupaScoopa » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:39 am

New World on College Hill, Harvest Whole Foods in Grey Lynn...

matt youwin

Postby matt youwin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:59 am

http://www.huckleberryfarms.co.nz/ corner of Greenlane Road and Manukua Road in epsom

redman

Postby redman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:56 am

Thanks Guys,

Is tonzu the only product available on our market?

Or is their different ranges?

matt youwin

Postby matt youwin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:00 am

You can get non-branded stuff from the tofu shop on dominion road too, it's pretty cheap.

redman

Postby redman » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:06 am

Mean thanks dude

vampire lezbos

Postby vampire lezbos » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:48 am

I see about twenty to thirty new patients per week, and I always ask them, “Which has more protein — one hundred calories of sirloin steak or one hundred calories of broccoli?” When I tell them it’s broccoli, the most frequent response I get is “I didn’t know broccoli had protein in it.” then ask them, “So where did you think the calories in broccoli come from? Did you think it was mostly fat, like an avocado, or mostly carbohydrate, like a potato?”

People know less about nutrition than any other subject. Even the physicians and dietitians who attend my lectures quickly volunteer the answer, “Steak!” They are surprised to learn that broccoli has about twice as much protein as steak.

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/ch ... -know.html

Nutrient Density of Green Vegetables

by Joel Fuhrman, M.D.

It is not merely consuming too much fat that causes diseases. It is not merely eating empty-calorie foods or the high consumption of animal foods, such as milk, cheese, butter, meat, and chicken that causes premature deaths in America. It is also what we are missing in our diets by not eating enough plant foods. Why are plant foods so protective and essential for human health?

Let's compare the nutrient density of meat to the nutrient density of green vegetables to illustrate this important point.

This table is from the forthcoming revised version of Dr. Fuhrman's book Cholesterol Protection for Life.

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/he ... ables.html

http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/article17.aspx

Joel Fuhrman M.D. - Nutrient density is the key to good health
http://www.wellsphere.com/raw-food-arti ... lth/261608
Last edited by vampire lezbos on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

matt youwin

Postby matt youwin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:53 am

Thank you for your relevant and informative post.

Brinn

Postby Brinn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:02 pm

redman wrote:Revival....

Does anyone know a good place to buy tempeh in auckland?

My neighbor (owner of tonzu).
I think they can do bulk/wholesale orders? Not sure, but they do them for us anyway.

And that post above about broccoli protein, yeah sure it has more per calorie, but you can't really compare how much of something you're going to eat by calorie. People would probably eat 120g of steak easily (I figure that's about a 1/4 pounder burger)... but they're not going to go around eating 1.5KG of broccoli (approximately equal in calories). So you can't really rely on broccoli for protein, I assume they're not trying to say you can though?

vampire lezbos

Postby vampire lezbos » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:09 pm

Those animals mankind thinks of as being the strongest in the world are often the ones used as beasts of burden. It is these animals that consume only plant foods -- oxen, mules, horses, cattle, elephants, camels. Even the silverback gorilla, that can toss a human like a frizbee, eats nothing but fruit, and will resort to other plants only when the fruit runs out.
http://www.innvista.com/health/nutritio ... equire.htm

most schools still teach an antiquated understanding of nutrition, where protein requirements are the most suspect. we can thank political maneuvering for that. brocolli protein however(as with most dark leafy greens), both quality and quantity, i.e., usability, still exceeds meat, especially when eaten raw, or better yet, juiced. excess protein in the system, damaged or otherwise, turns into an acidic metabolic waste, which the body then must neutralize with mineral leeching...the real cause of osteoporosis. cooking damages/destroys amino acids/protein and product labels are deceiving as they only reflect information of a raw, unprocessed product. they do not reflect that particular products true nutritional details, post cooking and further processing. all the protein one needs is in fresh fruits and veggies, however hard you push your body, and yes that excludes seeds, nuts & legumes.

The Protein Myth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae-dlHOmwk4

Protein - Myths and Legends

"Never have so many been so confused over a subject about which they know so little."

The word "protein" is derived from the Greek language and means "of primary importance". Amino Acids, the component parts of protein, are the biochemical basis for life and are required by every cell. The immune system’s antibodies are protein. Endocrine hormones are protein. The cement that holds our cells together is made of protein.

STRENGTH AND STAMINA: THE GREAT MEAT MYTH

What do the following World Champion athletes all have in common, besides strength and endurance? They must be big meat eaters, right?

Henry Aaron – All Time Baseball Home Run Champion
Dave Scott - 6-time winner of the Ironman Triathlon (the only man to win it more than twice!)
Sixto Linares - World Record holder in the 24-hour Triathlon
Paavo Nurmi - 20 World Records and 9 Olympic Medals in distance running
Stan Price - World Record holder in the Bench Press
Andreas Cahling - Mr. International Body Building Champion
Roy Hilligan - Mr. America Body Building Champion
Ridgely Abele - 8-Time National Champion in Karate

All of these athletes are VEGETARIANS! There are many, many more top athletes who have discovered that eating meat decreases strength and stamina.

The strongest animals on Earth are also vegetarians: Elephants, oxen, horses, mules, camels, water buffalo, etc. The Silverback Gorilla is 3-times the size of a man and is 30-times stronger! A Silverback Gorilla is so strong it could throw a 200-pound man across the street like a Frisbee! What does a gorilla eat? Raw fruit and vegetables.

John Robbins, in his book, Diet for a New America, reports that "...study after study has found that protein combustion is no higher during exercise than under resting conditions."

The Journal of the American Medical Association in 1978 warns athletes (and non-athletes) against taking protein supplements, stating "Athletes need the same amount of protein foods as non-athletes. Protein does not increase strength. Indeed, it often takes greater energy to digest and metabolize the excess protein."

PROTEIN AND HEALTH
It has been known for decades that populations consuming high-protein, meat-based diets have higher cancer rates and lower life-spans (averaging as low as 30 to 40 years), compared to cultures subsisting on low-protein vegetarian diets. Some of these have life spans of more than 90 years.

Dr. Alexander Leaf published the findings of his research about the oldest people in the world in the January, 1973 edition of National Geographic Magazine. He found that the three most consistently disease-free and long-lived people on Earth are the Abkhazians of Russia, the Vilacabambans of Ecuador and the Hunzukuts of Pakistan. None of these peoples suffer from Western diseases: NO obesity, NO cancer, NO heart disease! On the average these people live to be over 100 years old. The men are physically active and still fathering children at 100 years of age.

The diet of all of these people consists of 70-80 percent high-water-content foods such as raw, uncooked fruits and vegetables. These people eat very little or no animal products.

Meat protein is the most difficult food for the body to digest. The average time for food (other than fruit) to pass through the entire gastrointestinal tract is between 25 and 30 hours. When meat is eaten, that time is more than doubled!

Research published in the New England Journal of Medicine, in September, 1982 states, "undigested protein must be eliminated by the kidneys. This unnecessary work stresses out the kidneys so much that gradually lesions are developed and tissues begin to harden."

In the colon, this excess protein waste putrefies into toxic substances, some of which are absorbed in the bloodstream. The University of Illinois Medical School reports that "A high protein diet also breaks down the pancreas and lowers resistance to cancer as well as contributes to the development of diabetes."

HOW MUCH PROTEIN IS "ENOUGH"
Human mother’s milk contains no more than 5% protein. This is enough protein to enable an infant to double it’s weight and size during the first 6 months of life! After that, the need for protein DECREASES. Independent researchers around the world agree that the human need for protein each day is only 25 - 35 GRAMS. (about 1 ounce). Many nutritionists feel that only 20 grams a day are more than enough. Meanwhile, the AVERAGE AMERICAN eats more than 100 GRAMS of protean a day - 5 times the actual need!

Reports in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition say that people do not need to consume more than 2.5% of their daily calorie intake from protein. Even the World Health Organization says people do not need more than 4.5% calories from protein.

So how many calories are provided from protein in common raw fruits and vegetables?

SPINACH = 49%
BROCCOLI = 45%
CAULIFLOWER = 40%
LETTUCE = 34%
PEAS = 30%
GREEN BEANS = 26%
CUCUMBERS = 24%
CELERY = 21%
POTATOES = 11%
SWEET POTATOES = 6%
CANTALOUPE = 9%
HONEYDEW MELON = 10%
ORANGES = 8%
STRAWBERRIES = 8%
PEACHES = 6%
WATERMELON = 8%
PEARS = 5%
BANANAS = 5%
WHY DO PEOPLE EAT MEAT?

Since our bodies recycle 70% of the protein waste, we lose only about 23 grams of protein a day. To replenish this lost protein, your body needs only about 1.5 pounds of protein a month! So, why do we think we must eat huge amounts of meat to be healthy? Advertising. The meat and dairy industries spend vast sums of money in television and magazine advertising every year to convince Americans that we must eat huge amounts of cow meat, cheese, milk, eggs, chicken and other assorted animal products.

What’s the truth about meat as a source of protein? The Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council states, "One of the biggest fallacies ever perpetuated is that there is any need for so-called ‘complete protein’."

That fact is that protein is composed of amino acids. Amino acids are literally the building blocks of the human body. There are a total of 23 amino acids needed by the body, of which 15 of these our bodies manufacture in the liver -- provided the liver is in good working order. The other 8 amino acids must come from food so the body can build a complete protein...

http://www.healthfree.com/nutritional_power_myth.html

David xvx Ludd

Postby David xvx Ludd » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:05 pm

matt youwin wrote:Thank you for your relevant and informative post.
Green | Vegan | Straight Edge | Tattooed | Lawyer | Cyclist | PMA

[url="http://about.me/david.tong"]Me[/url] | [url="http://www.p3foundation.org/"]My charity[/url] | [url="http://www.oxfam.org.nz/events/teams.asp?a=show_team_pages&eventid=30&teamid=6235"]My Trailkwalker team[/url]

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:09 pm

Comparing a gorilla to a human and saying its because theyre vegetarian? Fuk of.

Blue whales eat meat, I guess its because of meat that they grow to be so enormous and powerful, MEAT = GOOD.

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Brinn

Postby Brinn » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:38 pm

vampire lezbos wrote:PROTEIN AND HEALTH
It has been known for decades that populations consuming high-protein, meat-based diets have higher cancer rates and lower life-spans (averaging as low as 30 to 40 years), compared to cultures subsisting on low-protein vegetarian diets. Some of these have life spans of more than 90 years.

It's been known for decades eh?
30 to 40 years... lol. Very few (as in less than 10, probably less than 5) countries have a life expectancy that low, and this 'information' seems to consider America to have a high-protein, meat based diet, yet the average life expectancy there is ~78. And life expectancy of more than 90 years is even more lulzy, wtf? nowhere has a life expectancy that high. So I say most of that 'information' is probably BS.

David xvx Ludd

Postby David xvx Ludd » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:53 pm

Well, yes, Brinn: Vampire Lezbos posted it. That means it's mostly bullshit, whatever its content.
Green | Vegan | Straight Edge | Tattooed | Lawyer | Cyclist | PMA

[url="http://about.me/david.tong"]Me[/url] | [url="http://www.p3foundation.org/"]My charity[/url] | [url="http://www.oxfam.org.nz/events/teams.asp?a=show_team_pages&eventid=30&teamid=6235"]My Trailkwalker team[/url]

Brinn

Postby Brinn » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:39 am

Lol, never actually seen any posts by them before that I can recall.

vampire lezbos

Postby vampire lezbos » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:56 am

aidan,
i think the gist of the author that particular article was written by, was saying that humans have very similar anatomy to gorillas. and yes, gorillas are vegetarians, and yes, they do eat fresh fruit and greens...the source of their amino acids/protein. not from meat, tofu, nuts, etc. not sure what else you're going on about?

ludd, you're still a dick...why?

brinn, do you ever check up on the sources for the stats you are buying into to? check out the Hunzakuts of northern pakistan or the Vilacabambans of Ecuador, please.

Brinn

Postby Brinn » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:49 am

LOL
Yeah, I did look into those stats, they all come from places that actually bother to use birth certificates, unlike the two towns you're asking me to look into.
I should probably stop feeding the troll, sorry.

vampire lezbos

Postby vampire lezbos » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:50 pm

brinn,
you'd make a crap researcher or p.i., if you're gonna keep limiting yourself to slanted wikipedia pieces or mythbuster shows for your info. :wink:
like i said, research the 3 'regions' and see what you find. and fyi, birth certificates are forged all the time so shouldn't be your trump card, especially if you can't verify if they are real or not.
with regards to longevity, what little research i've done into the institutes/universities and research scientists(durk pearson, sandy shaw, aubrey de grey, etc) doing longevity research...a conservative estimate on human longevity potential is 200 years, with controlled internal and external environments. As far as I know right now though, the oldest 'officially' 'western sanctioned' verified person was 122 years, so hitting the 150's shouldn't be too much of a stretch, especially with 'better' conditions, including a higher qualtitiy of amino acid/protein intake.

realize these aren't wikipedia approved or mythbuster sanctioned, but here are some to chew on...

Li,Ching-Yuen or Li,Ching-Yun (traditional Chinese: 李清雲; pinyin: Lǐ Qīngyún; born 1677 or after died May 6, 1933) was a Chinese herbalist, martial artist and tactical advisor. He claimed to be born in 1734, while disputed records suggest 1677. Both alleged lifespans of 199 and 256 years far exceed the longest confirmed lifespan of 122 years and 164 days.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Ching-Yuen

Katherine FitzGerald, Countess of Desmond (died 1604) was a noblewoman of the Anglo-Norman FitzGerald dynasty in Ireland and was referred to as "the old Countess of Desmond", owing to her longevity. She lived during the Tudor period (from the late 15th to the early 17th centuries), and achieved fame through certain well-known English writers (including Sir Walter Raleigh), who variously estimated her age at death at 140 years, and in excess of 120 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_ ... of_Desmond

Thomas Parr (1483? – 14 November 1635) was an Englishman who supposedly lived for 152 years.[1] He is often referred to simply as Old Parr or Old Tom Parr.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Tom_Parr

some life extension researchers:

Durk Pearson was born in 1943 and grew up on a farm in Illinois. He was reading by the age of four, and decided to become a scientist at that early age. While a student at MIT, he was a member of the MIT Science Fiction Society and one of the writers for the early underground comic God Comics. He took a triple major at MIT in physics, biology, and psychology, with a triple minor in electrical engineering, computer science, and chemistry, graduating with a B.S. in physics in 1965. His score on the Graduate Record Exam was the highest in the nation for that year. Durk has patents in the area of oil shale and tar sands recovery, lasers, holography, supplement formulations. He worked on all of the manned aerospace programs from Project Gemini to the Space Shuttle and won numerous awards, including an award from the International Society for Testing and Failure Analysis (a professional organization) for his penetrating quality control and safety analysis. He wrote much of the safety manual for the Materials and Processing Laboratory on the Shuttle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durk_Pearson

Aubrey David Nicholas Jasper de Grey (born 20 April 1963 in London, England) is an English author and theoretician in the field of gerontology, and the Chief Science Officer of the Methuselah Foundation.

De Grey is the author of the mitochondrial free-radical theory of aging, and the general-audience book Ending Aging, a detailed description of how regenerative medicine may be able to thwart the aging process altogether within a few decades. He works on the development of what he has termed "Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence" (SENS) - a tissue-repair strategy intended to rejuvenate the human body and thereby allow an indefinite lifespan. To this end, he has identified seven types of molecular and cellular "damage" caused by essential metabolic processes; SENS is a proposed panel of therapies to repair this damage.[
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey_de_Grey

kettles

Postby kettles » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:15 pm

TOO MANY WORDS

vampire lezbos

Postby vampire lezbos » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:11 am

phaedrus,
nice cell phone...what?

anyway, what part of 'limiting yourself to slanted wikipedia pieces' didn't you understand? i give links to wikipedia every now and then but i hardly limit my sources to them. perhaps you shouldn't either? :wink:

the more you look into longevity experiements/life extension, you'll see a chronological age distinguished from a biological age, i.e. the better(or worse)you take care of yourself, the greater the gap between these 'ages'. a buddy of mine spoke with one of the doctors/research scientists at the university of pennsylvania who was studying a man named
Hira Ratan Manek who was in his late 60's, i believe. this particular doctor remarked how all of this mans organs had seemingly rejuvinated themselves and were in 'pristine' condition, based on his lifestyle. think its very possible for someone to be biologically much younger than their chronological age, even old tom.

vampire lezbos

Postby vampire lezbos » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:41 pm

phaedrus,
please don't pretend to know how biased i am when you have no clue what all of my 'sources' are, and would never check up on them if you did. cooler to pay lip service on punkas, eh... :P

when i use wikipedia links, i use it for your palatability, not mine, and just as a starting point, if you are truly interested in getting aquainted with a subject. other than that, i place no stock in wikipedia for unbiased base information...as is.

"some random weirdo"...

"random idiotic rantings of someone who is doing an experiment in testing the boundaries of their readers' gullibility"

yeah, you've been trained real well to have an 'objective' mind. one for public schooling. good luck buckaroo.

Brinn

Postby Brinn » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:22 pm

vampire lezbos wrote:brinn,
you'd make a crap researcher or p.i., if you're gonna keep limiting yourself to slanted wikipedia pieces or mythbuster shows for your info. :wink:
like i said, research the 3 'regions' and see what you find. and fyi, birth certificates are forged all the time so shouldn't be your trump card, especially if you can't verify if they are real or not.

I know how to research, but I'm really not interested in being a researcher or PI so wtf has that got to do with anything?
Research the 3 regions and I find
"some random weirdo"...
"random idiotic rantings of someone who is doing an experiment in testing the boundaries of their readers' gullibility"

claiming that people there live longer with no evidence, why should I believe this?
Your argument against birth certificates doesn't make sense either. In other countries at least, they aren't forged much (in terms of percentage of population), plus I can't see forged ones making it to the registrar easily. So the recorded age people live to (especially the average) is quite accurate in these countries. So instead of that I'm supposed to trust places that don't bother with birth certificates, and instead rely on the people themselves to give an age. They can easily inflate their age, claiming their grandparents memories of significant events as their own and such. Why should I believe this?

vampire lezbos wrote:please don't pretend to know how biased i am when you have no clue what all of my 'sources' are, and would never check up on them if you did. cooler to pay lip service on punkas, eh... :P

when i use wikipedia links, i use it for your palatability, not mine, and just as a starting point, if you are truly interested in getting aquainted with a subject. other than that, i place no stock in wikipedia for unbiased base information...as is.

Ok, I read your so called 'sources' you posted previously. It's easy to see that they're complete bullshit with no evidence. Mostly they don't bother to reference anything, what they do is mostly references to other bullshit publications with no references, and the rest is their one good source but placed in their article to lead you to draw a different conclusion than you should. In contrast to this though, wikipedia articles have to be referenced - otherwise 'citation needed' tags will be added or the unreferenced content will be removed.

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”