Barack Obama Declares Support for Gay Marriage

Discussions, debates and support for and about the Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Trans punk rawk community.
xsfat

Barack Obama Declares Support for Gay Marriage

Postby xsfat » Thu May 10, 2012 2:35 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/6 ... y-marriage
In the interview, Obama said, "I have hesitated on gay marriage in part because I thought that civil unions would be sufficient." He added, "I was sensitive to the fact that for a lot of people the word 'marriage' was something that invokes very powerful traditions, religious beliefs and so forth." Now, he said, "it is important for me personally to go ahead and affirm that same-sex couples should be able to get married."

If you're interested, you can watch a play by Martin Sheen, Brad Pitt, George Clooney etc.
The play is made up of the transcript in a court case that contests a ban on gay marriage in California.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlUG8F9uVgM

Fiction & Falsehood

Re: Barack Obama Declares Support for Gay Marriage

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sat May 12, 2012 11:14 am

:tohlc: i dont really understand:
a) why gays wanna get married :calavcalav:
b) why people want to stop them :explainittomelikeimfive:

“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sat May 12, 2012 12:28 pm

Fiction & Falsehood wrote:why people want to stop them :explainittomelikeimfive:

We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

arkie

Postby arkie » Sat May 12, 2012 12:42 pm

^gold

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sat May 12, 2012 1:35 pm

so why do gays even want to get married?
who gives a fuck about a religious ceremony from a religion you presumably arent even part of?
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Sat May 12, 2012 2:42 pm

Who's saying they're specifically having religious marriage ceremonies?

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sat May 12, 2012 3:15 pm

why dont they just stop being gay? its so 90's

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sat May 12, 2012 3:23 pm

does it matter why? there's prob as many reasons for gay couples wanting to get married as there are gay couples wanting to get married. no one else's business but their own, they should be able to do what they want for whatever reason they want. i don't know why and don't really care why.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sat May 12, 2012 5:33 pm

i dont really care either, but i wonder why they care, so thats why i asked

xsfat

Postby xsfat » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:39 am

It's Rodney Hide's turn to express support for gay marriage...
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10824627
It's Parliament that decides who we can and can't marry. It's not decided by a committee of clergy. Or handed down by Holy Writ.

The regulation of marriage in New Zealand began with an ordinance in 1842 and the first Marriage Act was passed on the establishment of Parliament in 1854.

Our present Marriage Act dates from 1955. It sets out the rules for who can and can't marry. For example, the act prohibits a man marrying his former wife's grandmother or his daughter's son's wife. It's fortunate that Parliament thought of such possibilities and prohibited them.

The Marriage Act 1955 doesn't say I can't marry a man or that a woman can't marry a woman. But the courts have ruled that it wasn't Parliament's intent to enable same-sex marriage and that it's up to Parliament, not the courts, to declare whether same-sex marriages are lawful, not the courts. It's a fair call.

Back when the Marriage Act was enacted, homosexual activity was a crime carrying a maximum of life imprisonment. It's a safe bet that parliamentarians then weren't envisaging they were passing a law that would enable two men to apply for a marriage licence. But even then the law had softened towards homosexuality.

Parliamentarians in the early days were hard core and set the penalty for homosexual activity as death. The death penalty for buggery was removed in 1867.

The 1893 New Zealand Criminal Code was still discouraging: "Everyone is liable to imprisonment with hard labour for life, and, according to his age, to be flogged or whipped, once, twice or thrice, who commits buggery either with a human being or with any other living creature".

The flogging for buggery was removed in 1941 and hard labour removed in 1954.

The 1961 Crimes Act reduced the maximum sentence for sodomy between consenting adult males to seven years' prison.

The big change was in 1986, when Parliament voted by a narrow margin to decriminalise homosexual activity. Consensual sex between men was no longer a crime.

Consensual sex between women was never illegal in New Zealand. Early legislators thought such a thing impossible and didn't like to think about it and so never criminalised it.

Once homosexual acts were decriminalised in 1986 the inability of homosexuals to marry was an obvious anomaly and inequality. Homosexuals can have consensual sex; they just can't get married to do so.

In 2005 Parliament fudged the issue by allowing civil unions. A civil union is everything a marriage is - it just has a different name. The crucial difference is that same-sex couples can have a civil union.

The thinking at the time was that civil unions legislation might succeed in Parliament but allowing homosexuals to marry would not. The civil union law passed by 65 votes to 55.

Since then, 2000 New Zealand couples have tied the knot through civil union. One in five were heterosexual couples; nearly half were female plus female; a third were male plus male; 83 civil unions have been dissolved.

Importantly, the sky has not fallen. Certainly civil unions haven't proved "destructive of the very foundations of society as we know it" as the critics feared. And now MP Louisa Wall's Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Bill has been drawn from the ballot.

The way the ballot works is that Parliament sets aside limited time to consider legislation put up by MPs. Ordinarily it's only government ministers who can introduce legislation. Which members' bills get considered is determined by ballot. That's how Louisa Wall's bill has arrived before Parliament. It was her call, and the luck of the draw.

Her bill is a simple one: it amends the Marriage Act to declare that "marriage means the union of two people, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity".

The bill will be subject to a "conscience" or free vote. Each MP has a vote and it is up to each of them individually how they vote. Conscience or free votes are allowed to stop caucuses ripping themselves apart trying to reach consensus on controversial issues that engender strong religious and moral concerns. That makes the final vote hard to predict and there will be intense lobbying of individual MPs.

I have enormous respect for conservative values and traditional ways of doing things. But here's the question for those pushing traditional values against same-sex marriage: what tradition do you want our Parliament to push back to? The death penalty? Flogging? Hard labour? Life imprisonment? Seven years' jail?

Our Parliament has a sad and sorry history in its treatment of two adults who just want to love and be with one another. Let's hope with Louisa Wall's bill that history is finally made just that: history.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:39 pm

Consensual sex between women was never illegal in New Zealand. Early legislators thought such a thing impossible and didn't like to think about it and so never criminalised it.

Fagets right? They certainly didn't see the internet coming. :tohlc:
"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Little Miss Twoshoes

Postby Little Miss Twoshoes » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:51 pm

What about bumming within the holy sanctity of mawwaige*? Is 'buggery' confined to dudes? Could you get the death penalty for a marital arse plundering? Chicks get no illegal fun :(

(*Peter Cook voice)
"Personally, monsieur," said Poirot, "I don't give le fuck."

Shoot first, think never!

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm really disappointed the very foundations of society as we know it remain undestroyed. 3/10. Must try harder.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:32 pm

General Mutante wrote:I'm really disappointed the very foundations of society as we know it remain undestroyed. 3/10. Must try harder.
saw you posted in queer topics and thought it would be more of you moaning about stuff in your throat but no...

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:29 pm

mmmm....good crack wrote:Who's saying they're specifically having religious marriage ceremonies?

thats what marriage is, i understand its also a legal document, but thats what a civil union is, marriage without calling it marriage cos thats a religious ceremony.

inasmuch as i dont understand why gays want to get married, i equally cannot fathom why people want to stop them, who gives a shit? it seems like a somewhat unhealthy obsession on the part of anyone who is so dead set against it.
:calavcalav:

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:47 pm

From the marriage wikipedia page: Marriages can be performed in a secular civil ceremony or in a religious setting.

Martli
Formerly known as Jared.com

Postby Martli » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:32 pm

Fags could marry well before Christianity reared its ugly head. It was Christianity that ruined the sanctity of marriage in the first place, the current "marriage equality" movement (totally gay name) is simply a correction of a previous injustice.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:key word being "probaber;y"

Return to “Queer Topics”