Pansy Division: Life in a Gay Rock Band doco

Discussions, debates and support for and about the Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Trans punk rawk community.
Derek the Chef

Pansy Division: Life in a Gay Rock Band doco

Postby Derek the Chef » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:34 pm

Undeniably one of the most important and influential gay music acts in the last twenty years, Pansy Division pioneered the “queercore” genre long before other gay musicians had the confidence to come out of the closet, and without major record label support or mainstream radio airplay.

Using original and archive footage and covering over fifteen years as a group, Pansy Division: Life in a Gay Rock Band is a fast-paced, intimate and humorous account of one of rock’s most fearless acts. From their first days in San Francisco’s underground music scene to a full-fledged stadium tour with Green Day and beyond, founding members Jon Ginoli and Chris Freeman overcome increasingly difficult line-up changes, prejudice and near-poverty to keep the band together and create music that has truly made a difference.

The film also examines issues that faced the gay community in the 90’s, as well as the adversity one encounters simply by being oneself.

Featuring interviews and appearances by Lookout Records founder Larry Livermore, Jessie “Luscious” Townley (The Criminals, Alternative Tentacles), Jello Biafra (Dead Kennedys, Alternative Tentacles), Rob Halford (Judas Priest) and Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day), Pansy Division: Life in a Gay Rock Band provides an essential history of a genre of alternative music that is only now beginning to be appreciated.

http://pansydivisionfilm.com/
Dan was usually the first one to suggest a round of Soggy Biscuit, but he always played to lose.

Phlegm

Re: Pansy Division: Life in a Gay Rock Band doco

Postby Phlegm » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:58 am

Derek the Chef wrote:Undeniably one of the most important and influential gay music acts in the last twenty years, Pansy Division pioneered the “queercore” genre long before other gay musicians had the confidence to come out of the closet, and without major record label support or mainstream radio airplay.

They're a good pop punk band and I wish I'd caught them when they came to New Zealand in the nineties but this first paragraph is just poor at making a point. Bronski Beat were openly gay. Their first album came out in 1984. Pioneering a movement that isn't really recognised without major record label support or mainstream radio airplay makes out theses forms of marketing are important when anyone who has been into independent music for sometime knows they're not.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

Kev Japan

Postby Kev Japan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:44 am

Saw PD at the Tummy in 1994(?) Did a radio interview with them as well. Seemed like good dudes.

Yellow Romans

Postby Yellow Romans » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:34 pm

I saw Pansy Division when they came here. They announced the song "James Bondage" as being "a song about my boyfriend Sean Connery". Bald retard in the audience yells out "You mean your girlfriend, you're a guy". Audience can't believe the guy could be so clueless as to not realise they were gay (the poster for the tour was AO size - about 1m x 1.5m, bright pink with the name "Pansy Division" in huge lettering. The guitarist had a t-shirt with "queer" written in glitter lettering and the bassist had a t-shirt with a huge dick on it). After a bit of explaining from the band such as "I'm a fag, I fuck men", homophobe in the crowd gets a look of mild disgust as he realises the band are gay. Some people really are thick as pigshit.

Return to “Queer Topics”