Australian pub bars heterosexuals

Discussions, debates and support for and about the Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Trans punk rawk community.
Rizzo

Australian pub bars heterosexuals

Postby Rizzo » Mon May 28, 2007 11:32 pm

BBC World wrote:The hotel's ban is a first for Australia
A gay pub in the city of Melbourne has won the right to ban heterosexuals - the first time such legislation has been passed in Australia.

The Victorian state civil and administrative tribunal ruled the Peel Hotel could ban patrons based on their sexual orientation.

The pub's management said the move would stop groups of heterosexual men and women abusing gay people.

Civil liberties groups have supported the decision.

'Safe balance'

The tribunal's president said groups of straight women found homosexual men entertaining but that such attention was dehumanising, the BBC's Phil Mercer in Sydney says.

Managers complained raucous hen nights and stag parties created a poisonous atmosphere for its gay clientele, our correspondent says.

"If I can limit the number of heterosexuals entering the Peel, then that helps me keep the safe balance," the hotel's manager, Tom McFeely, told Australian radio, according to the Reuters news agency.

Tom McFeely, The Peel manager, 28 May 2007
Mr McFeely says he wants a "safe balance"

He said while Melbourne had 2,000 venues catering for heterosexuals, his was the only bar aimed exclusively at gay men.

Civil liberties groups said homosexuals should be allowed to relax in places without fear of bullying or intimidation.

Australia's equal opportunity laws prevent discrimination based on race, religion or sexuality.

Source
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

akaxo wrote:if metal isn't elitist it is false

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Mon May 28, 2007 11:42 pm

aussies weird like that.

kittenslayer

Postby kittenslayer » Tue May 29, 2007 1:01 pm

Sounds like fun, my friend said a Brazilian guy tried to take advantage of her and her gay friends had to beat him up.

georgasaur

Postby georgasaur » Tue May 29, 2007 4:20 pm

Mehh, that's a bit exxxtreme really...how the hell are they going to police it? Some kind of mandatory pash reigime at the front entrance? Compulsory same-sex kissing booth to cast off any suspicions of heterosexuality? Lordy, look out "fag hags"...

Huey
fairy gymnast

Postby Huey » Tue May 29, 2007 4:28 pm

The tribunal's president said groups of straight women found homosexual men entertaining but that such attention was dehumanising, the BBC's Phil Mercer in Sydney says.

lol.

Ginasaur maybe you should be addressing this form of sexual discrimination within the scene too?

lolololol
Because he's the hero Punkas deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Mi amore
Don't you know
My love I want you so
Sugar
You make my soul complete
Rapture tastes so sweet

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue May 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Apparently gay men only. Discretion to refuse entry to straight guys and girls, and lesbians.
I wonder where Transgender and cross dressers fit in?

hate and wedges

Postby hate and wedges » Tue May 29, 2007 4:50 pm

i'm sorry, i'm going to need to see your GAY ID

Huey
fairy gymnast

Postby Huey » Tue May 29, 2007 4:51 pm

Hmmmm.

Well for a gay guy a trany is probably similar to a girl trying to look like a guy to a straight guy. This isn’t a turn on but if the girl is hot enough she can probably get away with it.

In conclusion it will probably be on a case by case basis, for example, Georgina Bayer probably wouldn’t get in?
Because he's the hero Punkas deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Mi amore
Don't you know
My love I want you so
Sugar
You make my soul complete
Rapture tastes so sweet

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Tue May 29, 2007 5:05 pm

why has noone commented on his name yet

A GAY BAR MANAGER CALLED MR MCFEELY!!!!

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Tue May 29, 2007 5:14 pm

The way I read it was that the manager had the right to refuse entry to hetrosexuals. e.g could kick out the people who just show up to laugh etc.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

kittenslayer

Postby kittenslayer » Tue May 29, 2007 5:30 pm

ginasaur wrote:Mehh, that's a bit exxxtreme really...how the hell are they going to police it? Some kind of mandatory pash reigime at the front entrance? Compulsory same-sex kissing booth to cast off any suspicions of heterosexuality? Lordy, look out "fag hags"...

kissing ain't enough proof, need a "back door booth".

cirE

Postby cirE » Tue May 29, 2007 5:33 pm

ginasaur wrote:Compulsory same-sex kissing booth to cast off any suspicions of heterosexuality?

hahaha

hey, i saw mcfeely and chuckled
Future Shock wrote:freudian slip, went downa likea sack o potatoes

0.21 6.78 3.31

georgasaur

Postby georgasaur » Tue May 29, 2007 9:39 pm

King Leonidas wrote: girl trying to look like a guy to a straight guy. This isn’t a turn on

Maybe not to you!...
King Leonidas wrote:Ginasaur maybe you should be addressing this form of sexual discrimination within the scene too?

like I said, kissing booths ! :bday:

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed May 30, 2007 7:01 am

gosh, just imagine if people were trying to ban gay people from a pub....
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

georgasaur

Postby georgasaur » Wed May 30, 2007 5:46 pm

It is a tad silly really

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Wed May 30, 2007 9:58 pm

imagine being gay and getting beaten up by ockers.

reminds me of the blacks in america, yep aussie thinks like that, unfortunately but people are good catz there too who change those bio]ased opinions on all fronts.

it ain't black and white, like life.

Envy

Postby Envy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:08 pm

I can understand the manager not wanting hetero people in there, but why the fuck would his clientele complain about lesbians being in the bar?

I don't get it.

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:17 pm

yea that should be questioned? but they have a love hate relationship amongst the mainies.

happens amongst the persecuted often seemingly as a matter of recourse and frustration but if only they actually sat down and thunk about it but people are soo conditoned they think your callin em stupid, watch outtt.

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:20 pm

Rizzo wrote:The way I read it was that the manager had the right to refuse entry to hetrosexuals. e.g could kick out the people who just show up to laugh etc.

Return to “Queer Topics”