Queercore

Discussions, debates and support for and about the Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Trans punk rawk community.
Lentil

Queercore

Postby Lentil » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:59 pm

Bit of a double up with this in the music section but thought people might be interested anyway.
excerpt from http://www.dragking.org/Queerinterview.html

3. Can you give me a short history lesson as to the beginnings of queercore?

First of all the tag "core" came out of punk. First there was punk, then, for the really intense, macho jock boy fucks, there was "hardcore punk". Minor Threat was cool and all, but "hardcore punk" soon became "hardcore" and the refuge of boys with short hair, rigid personal values and a lot of pent up frustration and anger.

Basically what happened was that there were people who identified both as punk and as queer. People like Dave Dictor of M.D.C., Vaginal Creme Davis, Bruce La Bruce, G.B. Jones, Tom Jennings, Deke Motif Nihilson, everyone in God Is My Co-Pilot, Donna Dresch, ad infinitum. All these people were inlfuenced by the growing anarchist movement and activist groups like ACT-UP, Queer Nation and political punk bands like CRASS, etc.

This was not such a stretch really. From it's origins punk encouraged anyone and everyone to start a band or a 'zine or make a film or create their own clothes. A "punk" was originally a prison term for the recipient of gay sex. Punk revelled in being the most despised, the most scorned, the most rejected. As Iggy Pop says, "I've been dirt and I don't care". In fact it's a badge of honor. Punk was always gay. Think about the Buzzcocks. Think about Dee Dee Ramone was giving head on 42nd Street. Think about Darby Crash. Think about Phranc and her first band, Nervous Gender. Dick Hebdige described punk's collage of symbols by refering back to the "bricolage" of Jean Genet (the gay French writer who spent much of his life in jail). Sid Vicious wore Tom of Finland shirts from Malcolm McClaren's SEX shoppe. Punk bands like M.D.C. have written explicitly gay protest songs like "America's so straight..."(which appeared on their first record), and the Dead Kennedys used photos from the riots in San Francisco which followed the assasination of Harvey Milk on their first album cover.

So Queer punks created a space where they could be both queer and punk without some bourgeois preppie gays or straight-edge skateboarders trying to smash them.

However, today the term is meaningless. For example "Queercore" is also the name of a program of Gay City Health Project in Seattle Washington, "addressing the unique concerns and perspectives of gay and bisexual men under 30."

4. What prompted the shift from calling queer punk music ‘homocore’ in the late 80’s, to ‘queercore’ in the mid 90’s? Did this shift reflect a changing ideology in this genre, for instance from being strictly defined by homosexuality to a more versatile inclusion of all things queer?

This shift was the reflection of a developing consciousness. One might also ask why was ACT-UP superceded by Queer Nation? One might also ask why did it take so long to recognize that not all queer people are white, middle class men with pro-capitalist, consumerist values?

5. What’s your definition of queer?

Queer is transgendered, lesbian, gay, drag, transvestite, homosexual, or otherwise challenging the dominant heterodoxy.

6. What’s your definition of queercore?

Creative expressions, primarily punk music or 'zines, which problematize conventional conceptions of gender and sexuality.

8. How do you, as an advocate of queercore, see yourself as fitting into the more normalized and commercialized gay movement of the 90’s?

The question is always: Do you want "out" or do you want "in"? Do you want to be accepted by the capitalist dominat culture? Do you want to be able to shop, consume and exploit like the bourgeois, white, straight denizens of the status quo? Do you want to have the lifestyle you see advertised on television, or do you recognize that that lifestyle is only made possible by the suffering and exploitation of the vast majority of the other human beings living on our planet and the eventual destruction of that planet?

The promise of queercore was a subversive counterculture with a radical critique of bourgeois gay conformity and homophobic hardcore conformity. So, in answer to your question about the 1990s, i would have to answer simply: "i don't". More important to me was a 'zine published here in Chicago by some lesbain activists, entitled "It's Time to End the Gay Rights Movement as We Know It". This great 'zine is still available online:

http://www.suba.com/~outlines/broadside/index.html

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:52 pm

Link to Homocore zine with back issues online

http://www.wps.com/archives/HOMOCORE/

nada!

Postby nada! » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:38 am

thanx L. wicked shit
"...a mighty, reckless, shameless, conscienceless, proud -- crime, does it not rumble in distant thunders, and do you not see how the sky grows presciently silent and gloomy?"

>>>>>>&

Postby >>>>>>& » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:17 am

what about darby crash?
i am of the mind and the opinion that if something doesn't accept you,
you do everything in your power to fucking destroy it.
i don't care if it's the world, society, your family or a fucking high school
keg party.
you do everything you can to hit back...and strike back.
let go of some of that fucking hatred
i wanna poison this world the way it fuckin poisoned me.
i'm gonna to everthing, EVERYTHING in my power to corrupt, to twist, to
destroy, to rip apart, to poison.
i'm gonna spit my last breath in all your faces.
you're gonna hear me laughin at the end.

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:01 pm

:roll: :lol:

>>>>>>&

Postby >>>>>>& » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:47 pm

...still waiting, someones gotta do better than 'hes gay'
i am of the mind and the opinion that if something doesn't accept you,
you do everything in your power to fucking destroy it.
i don't care if it's the world, society, your family or a fucking high school
keg party.
you do everything you can to hit back...and strike back.
let go of some of that fucking hatred
i wanna poison this world the way it fuckin poisoned me.
i'm gonna to everthing, EVERYTHING in my power to corrupt, to twist, to
destroy, to rip apart, to poison.
i'm gonna spit my last breath in all your faces.
you're gonna hear me laughin at the end.

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:10 pm

sighs.

bruce wayne

Postby bruce wayne » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:00 am

shouldn`t the term be QUEER-EDGE or GAY-EDGE instead of STRAIGHT-EDGE????

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:43 am

sighs.

nada!

Postby nada! » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:38 pm

I's hoping you might have spilt by now B.

I had my suspicions about Pat Smear, but never heard anything bout Crash.

I couldn't be bothered googling it coz I don't care too much about this kinda thing anymore. But looking over some of his lyrics there's definitely a few hints, especially their gender ambiguity (think Buzzcocks, Husker Du, Mozza...).

They also did some songs for the movie "Husting", about an undercover cop who infiltrates the homosexual underground to catch a queer-killer...coincidence yes probably.

Also, wasn't his overdose a suicide?
"...a mighty, reckless, shameless, conscienceless, proud -- crime, does it not rumble in distant thunders, and do you not see how the sky grows presciently silent and gloomy?"

Return to “Queer Topics”